Being without sewing machine I’m having to put a few projects on hold for now…boo hoo!
So no Bloom Bloom Pow this week which I’m a bit sad about (you’re probably thinking what a relief), just hoping I don’t lose the momentum to keep going. Might drag my old sewing machine out to do the backing, but not sure it’s a wise idea.
Anyway back to the point of my post. At the beginning of the month I signed up for an Artist Trading Card Swap with Very Berry Handmade.
I’m quite excited about this as it’s not something I’ve done before. The idea is that each person involved makes a trading card which can be made from pretty much any kind of textile, but should be 6.4cm by 8.9cm (2.5″ by 3.5″) and based around the theme ‘something new’. Oh…. and it’s a surprise so no one knows who’s going to be creating theirs, so ssshh!
Anyway (I like that word today), I had about a MILLION ideas for this!
I procrastinated a bit and then a bit more, before finally deciding to use felt and try some new techniques like different resists. Buuut then I noticed a limit on thickness putting a stop to that option.
Next I settled on a mini paper pieced quilted thingy, but you know what happened, yep, my sewing machine got sick… bye bye sewing machine and idea number two!
So third time lucky I went for embroidery. I bought some 12wt aurifil recently with the aim of hand quilting some (as yet unmade) cushions. It’s really lovely so this was the perfect opportunity to give it a go.
I started with the intention of doing a small piece of doodle embroidery, but it took on a bit of a life of it’s own…..
I don’t think it quite fits with the requirements!
(Excuse bland wallpaper, it’s a rented house and we can’t change ANYTHING..we’re not even allowed to put pictures up…so unfair!)
Anyway…going to keep going with it as I’m finding the process very enjoyable and want to see how it develops. I’ve tried to keep to the red, but added a little pale green just to see how it looked….I’m undecided now…should I add more colours (yellow, kingfisher blue) or not?…should I keep with red and green or just red?…what do you think?
As well as this I’ve been trying some embroidery stitches using these lovely wools…yum.
This is where I’m up to…..
Unfortunately my local shops didn’t have any of the mono canvas I needed so I used some cross stitch type stuff but I don’t think it looks as good. I know I shouldn’t blame my ‘tools’ but it didn’t help my poor sewing skills! Waiting for some of the proper stuff to arrive now.
Lastly the felt pin cushions / pomanders are still going. Produced a new one this week which I really like. I used a different technique this time and it worked surprisingly well.It’s rather on the large size so will need to refine it again, but I’m getting there.
I don’t even know why I making them to be honest, just seem like nice things! Will do a tutorial in the future in case anyone wants to give them a go.
That’s it for now, bye!