You can probably see that I’m not exactly quilting along more like quilting a bit. As my attention span is short and my fabric supplies limited I thought I’d best focus on a block at a time to make something small, but usable and finished. So I was googling patterns for pan mats or what I now know are called ‘trivets’ (yes, I’d never heard that word before either…what, you mean that’s just me?) and stumbled across a blog called cotton way. This site not only had lovely pictures of trivets, beautiful – really want to buy that – fabric, but also mentioned the Moda Friendship Quilt Along.
This started another 3 hour trawl of the internet looking for the ideal easy, but not too easy block. I opted for no 10 and in order to avoid ultimate wonkiness I took my time……..three blocks in one day, more like one in three nights! What? I’ve got NCIS to watch.
Anyway the first night I just cut the pieces out trying to be as precise as possible. I think I must have lost concentration at times as a couple looked a little off, but nothing major.
The next night I started sewing and the end result looked pretty neat, no seam ripping for me this time. Nevertheless, after quilting I noticed things were a little skewiff. I’m not sure if it’s because I hadn’t pinned the trivet well enough or because I was putting my foot down and dragging the fabric, or both, but the middle square seems to be slanting slightly. Also there’s one small square that is really not up to scratch, but it wasn’t an easy fix so I’ll have to live with it.
The main difficulty arose, as usual, when I started binding the edges, this time the seam ripper was called upon because of my decision to tackle mitred corners. This would have been fine except that I cut the binding into strips for some reason and then spent ages trying work out a way of avoiding taking them off again. In the end I realised there was no other way (that I could see) and I had to start again. When I did it properly it was actually quite easy and all that was left to do was blind stitch the binding.
Overall I’m very pleased with the results. I took a bit of a risk with the fabrics as I wasn’t sure they would work together, but it has a nice bright feel to it. I can now tick off mitred corners and pointy petal shape.